Snap It Pretty!

by Kira @ Her New Leaf on July 26, 2011

Antique Camera

As I mentioned, on Saturday I attended a photography workshop called Snap It Pretty.

Welcome Table

I’ve been attempting to take a few photos here and there with Marcus’ Canon dSLR, but pretty much solely on auto mode. So when I learned of the workshop from Danni’s blog Oh, Hello Friend, I jumped at the opportunity – it seemed like just what I needed, and it was close and just the right price. It sounds a little silly, but since moving here, I’ve really had trouble “putting myself out there” when it comes to doing things on my own. So the prospect of signing up and then actually doing something made me really excited!

Girlies

Snap It Pretty was put together by Danni (center) of Oh, Hello Friend and Ruby (right) of Cakies. They recruited their photographer friend Jen (left) of I Art U to teach us the basics of shooting with a dSLR on manual. How cute is Ruby with her baby bump in that yellow dress??

All Ears

We started seated in cute antique chairs as Jen went through the fundamentals of iso, shutter speed, and aperture. Honestly, I was kind of surprised at how simple it could all sound coming from someone who knows what they’re doing!

Jen

The conversation was very casual – Jen explained each setting then circulated through the crowd helping each person master their own camera. I was hoping that some of the things I learned as a high school freshman in my photo course would start to come back, but it all seemed new to me!

Table Display

Danni and Ruby had set up tables around the lawn for us to practice our new skills on after Jen finished her presentation.

Streamers

The girls’ creative touches were all around! I loved these watercolored crepe paper streamers.

Antiques

These pics are a little blown-out but I really like the colors and the backgrounds, especially in the one on the right.

Sunkissed

The workshop was held on a ranch that also had a small orange grove. I wandered around in it for a bit.

Wagon Wheels

There was also lots of old, rusty farm equipment strewn throughout the ranch grounds.

Behind the Scenes

More creative touches from Ruby and Danni.

Sweets

Jen let me borrow her 50 mm lens to try out (the first picture on this post was also taken with it). I loved the sharp focus and smooth blur this lens gives to photos.

Worldwide

This was also taken with Jen’s lens. I gotta get me one of those, it makes photos so much better!

Lunch Bundles

After a while, Danni and Ruby started setting up for lunch. They packed all of our sandwiches in these cute little color-coded bundles.

Picnic-ing

Finally everyone sat down to eat. But not until after everyone snapped a few photos their lunch first!

Lunch

My cute little lunch.

The New Photographers

After lunch we took a few more practice shots.

Still Life

Then Danni and Ruby gave some tips and answered questions on taking photos for blogging and merchandising, as well as blogging in general. They were super sweet and answered every question we could come up with. They raffled off a few prizes and gave out packages of goodies from their sponsors. My favorite item is my new camera strap from iMoShop – I totally have my eye on this braided strap in their shop – so cute!

Polaroid

I had a fantastic time on Saturday and I can’t wait to learn more about photography! I have started digging through some blog posts and online tutorials I’ve had bookmarked for months – I’ll be sure to link to any I find particularly helpful.

Have you ever thought of learning more about photography?

franjessica July 26, 2011 at 7:09 am

Kir! I’m so jealous you got to go to this. I wanted to go, but considering I’d have to buy a new camera and a plane ticket to LA, I decided I couldn’t afford it. I’m still considering buying myself a dSLR (I’ve been wanting one for 2+ years) but I know if I get one I have to take a class but I also want to take a ceramics class. I can’t make up my mind what I want to do. Glad you enjoyed yourself and met some fun people.

Hannah July 26, 2011 at 8:02 am

I can’t wait until I’m done with school so I can do awesome things like this. So much inspiration, everywhere!

greg July 26, 2011 at 9:29 am

you took some great photos Kir. now i wanna’ buy a new camera and get back to an old hobby.

Kira@hernewleaf July 26, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Jen suggested if we’re looking to buy a camera to buy just the body and purchase lenses separately, since it’s the lenses that really make the photo, you can (pretty much) have any body. Maybe you could look for a used one at a camera shop or on eBay?

greg July 27, 2011 at 12:13 pm

thanks for the suggestion

Lori July 26, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Good job with the photos! It looks like a fun, girly day you had!

claire July 27, 2011 at 9:21 am

GIRLLLL, your photos are GORGEOUS!!! I’m thinking of taking a photography “safari” course around DC! they have a food/tablescape one so I’m thinking of taking it up!!

Jenna July 27, 2011 at 9:25 pm

This is EXACTLY the kind of workshop I want to do. Thanks for all the pictures! This has me thinking that partnering up with someone is the way to go.

Kira@hernewleaf July 27, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I bet that the tag-team approach definitely helped them all out – It was great! Feel free to drop me a line if you have any other questions on how everything during the day went.

Kate July 27, 2011 at 9:34 pm

So fun to see your photos! I should have wandered around more like you– that photo of the orange is amazing. Happy photo-taking! :)

Bri Kim July 27, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Hi Kira!
Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. It was nice meeting ou on Saturday and I wish we had gotten a bit more of a chance to chat…so much going on that day! You took some great photos from the workshop and your blog looks great!
and by the way, that video below is hilarious! keep in touch :)
-Bri

Suzula July 28, 2011 at 12:12 pm

What a great workshop, and a fun time as well. I could sure use some tips when taking photos for my Etsy shop. I just rely on auto and hope for the best… :)

Becky July 29, 2011 at 12:56 pm

So funny to see pictures of yourself on other blogs! (I’m the one in green) Your close ups turned out great — really like those!

jennifer young July 31, 2011 at 2:32 pm

wow kira! what a fantastic recap–your images look great! i love that you went around and explored the place. it was so good to meet you and i hope to see you again soon :)
j.

Mandy August 2, 2011 at 6:08 pm

How cool! It looks like they put together a fun and beautiful workshop!! Your photos are beautiful as well…I could really use a course like this since I basically goofed off in my college digital photo class–why on Earth did I do that?? Didn’t I know I wanted to be a blogger?? ;)