A Very Bloggy Thanksgiving

by Kira @ Her New Leaf on November 28, 2011

Marcus (and Scout) and I spent Thanksgiving with his family, and I volunteered to make dessert! I’m not much of a cook (or a baker) so I turned to blogs for inspiration and recipes.

I’ve been playing with Instagram on M’s iPhone this weekend – love it!

The first three pics are the process of making Joy the Baker‘s Salted Caramel Cheesecake. I had never made a cheesecake before and I was very nervous, but Joy’s instructions made it easy and the cake came out SO GOOD. I didn’t leave the last two slices to be snatched up by anyone else, I stuck them in my leftovers bag real quick! I will definitely be using this recipe again!

Picture number four are my mini pumpkin pies, as inspired by Kimberly Michelle‘s “Little Pumpkin Pies for Little People” post. They were adorable, but since most of my focus was on the cheesecake, I opted for store-bought pie crust and pumpkin pie filling, and the end product was definitely lacking a little. I also totally forgot to pick up whipped cream, which is super important.

On the bottom left is my cornucopia, inspired by my lovely blogfriend Claire‘s post on She Knows. I really wish that I got a better photo of this but in all the cooking chaos, I forgot my camera! I couldn’t find the bread sticks that Claire suggested so I substituted croissant dough cut into strips. After it was baked, I stuffed it with grapes, apples, pears, and cheeses. This was the hit of the party! Everyone wanted to know how I made it, and it was super simple and fun!

The last photo I did not make, and it was not inspired by a blog. On Friday night, I was whining about a craving for cinnamon buns, and when I awoke on Saturday morning, Marcus had baked them for us. He’s the best. : )

Do you use blogs for cooking inspiration?

Anni November 28, 2011 at 7:21 am

Aww, I love that Marcus baked the cinnamon rolls for you! So sweet. Sounds like you did an awesome job at cooking, glad it was a hit!

Frankie November 28, 2011 at 7:49 am

That salted caramel cheesecake sounds delicious! I actually wanted to make it when I saw the recipe but it seemed overly complicated. I use blogs for cooking inspiration all the time. The pumpkin cheesecake recipe I used for my dad’s party was from a blog, and I’ve made Smitten Kitchen’s soft oatmeal cookies. I’m glad to hear you had a successful cheese cake baking experience!

Kira@hernewleaf November 28, 2011 at 6:50 pm

It’s wasn’t complicated at all, Joy actually did a great job of simplifying the process. Definitely try it!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist November 28, 2011 at 11:54 am

AWW YES!!!! I’m so glad you loved it. It was one of my all time favorite articles to write!!

Maria November 28, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Yum! Everything looked terrific!

Kristin November 28, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Wow, you’ve been a busy busy bee! These look DELISH! I’m not much of a baker but I love looking for new dinner recipes on blogs, and on pinterest. The only thing I’ve baked from there is pumpkin puree + cake mix (awesome!) and diet coke + brownie mix (terrible!). I wish I were as brave as you so I could be eating all this too :)

bigapplenosh November 29, 2011 at 11:02 am

Yum – everything looks AMAZING!!

Lori November 30, 2011 at 8:23 am

Let’s make the cheesecake when you come home!