DIY Washi Tape Laptop Keyboard

by Kira @ Her New Leaf on January 16, 2012

Look whose little old MacBook got a facelift this weekend! I spotted this idea from minifanfan on Making It Lovely last week and just had to give it my own spin.

I purchased my Japanese washi tape from Le Box Boutique on Etsy. There are hundreds of washi tape sellers but I chose Le Box because they allow you to purchase tape by the foot rather than having to purchase the entire roll. They were very easy to interact with and I would definitely recommend them if you’re looking to purchase washi tape!

I chose these ten patterns but only ended up using eight of them on my keyboard. The purple and blue patterns looked a bit more opaque than the others when applied to the keys and I’m kind of crazy when it comes to matchy-matchiness.

I first thoroughly cleaned my keyboard with rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt or oil that might keep the tape from sticking. Then I created a template from cardboard to more easily cut the length of tape needed for each key. I also snipped off the corners to keep them from snagging and peeling off the keys. Washi tape is similar to masking tape or blue painters’ tape in that it is easy to stick and restick in case you don’t get the placement perfect each time.

I originally wanted to do all the keys, including the small keys in the top row, but the tape seemed to have a harder time sticking to the small keys. If you’re wondering, most of the patterns are easy to see through, just in case I forget which key is the Z or X.

This project was a bit tedious but simple – perfect for a few hours in front of the tv. It actually went much quicker than I thought! I think the corners may start to peel over time, but the time/money investment wasn’t very big, and for now, I’m pretty sure I have the prettiest MacBook around!

What do you think? Have you ever done a project inspired by a photo found online?

Trademark Guy January 8, 2014 at 3:01 am

What a brilliant idea, it looks so gorgeous too! Definitely worth spending a few hours on!

Josie McHale January 28, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Seriously cool! Stunning and absolutely gorgeous. Lots of love and care went into this project but totally well worth it.
Josie McHale recently posted..Heart Shape Valentine’s Day Cutting BoardMy Profile

FREAKDELAFASHION February 8, 2014 at 10:05 am

Great idea

Lots of love,

April

Krystal March 6, 2014 at 3:45 am

Wow! How disappointing is it going to be when you have to trade in the laptop? Love it! Very creative!

Reese July 20, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Washi tape peels right off so you dont have to worry :)

Felice Panagrosso April 3, 2014 at 11:45 am

Kira, I love this, thank you! The keys on my mac are black, so I’ll have to see what happens. -Phil
Felice Panagrosso recently posted..Twin Pines Diner – East Haven, ConnecticutMy Profile

Ola May 4, 2014 at 3:25 am

This post is worth everyone’s attention. Whre can I find out more?
Ola recently posted..OlaMy Profile

Christy May 9, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Could you please tell me how you made your template? This is so pretty! Thank you!

Elaine June 10, 2014 at 6:49 am

I just arrived at your blog. I already love it itand bookmarked it as well. I’m looking forward ti a summer of diy. Thanks for sharing.

Athena June 12, 2014 at 9:03 am

Keyboard vanity! Yours are really really pretty! I want to try Washi tape too!
Athena recently posted..Maybelline Super Mineral 24My Profile

architects June 16, 2014 at 2:15 am

Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you so much,
However I am experiencing issues with your RSS. I don’t understand the reason why I am unable to subscribe to it.
Is there anybody getting identical RSS problems?

Anybody who knows the solution will you kindly respond? Thanx!!
architects recently posted..architectsMy Profile

Shanice June 17, 2014 at 11:42 am

Love this idea! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.
Shanice recently posted..Summer Kids Schedule PrintableMy Profile

Joachim Bridzinski June 23, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Probably to some extents but any time a force has ever attempted
to change things from inside or outside they are co-opted,
corrupted or one way or another destroyed. Rumor round the
tea party campfires are that the disenfranchised got less
than what one would consider a. Lee Kuan Yew as an active elder statesman of international politics, China’s political, economic, social issues a lot of views,
although we can not fully acceptable to his point of view, but the impact of the rise of China’s biggest
challenge comes down to the gap between rich and poor , but it is justified.
Joachim Bridzinski recently posted..Joachim BridzinskiMy Profile

a June 25, 2014 at 5:18 pm

A person necessarily lend a hand to make seriously posts I
might state. This is the first time I frequented your website page and up to
now? I surprised with the research you made to create this actual publish amazing.
Great process!
a recently posted..aMy Profile

having ones search July 3, 2014 at 5:25 pm

It’s truly very difficult in this busy life
to listen news on TV, thus I simply use the web for that reason, and get the most
recent news.
having ones search recently posted..having ones searchMy Profile

Mathew July 18, 2014 at 10:40 am

Hello! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading through your articles.

Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that cover
the same topics? Thanks!