My Favorite iPhone Apps

by Kira @ Her New Leaf on March 20, 2012

I am a lifelong Apple computer user, but I only just got my iPhone in January. How did I survive without it for so long?? I’m kidding. Kind of. Here are my favorite apps.

iPhone image from here, edited by me

Photography Apps

Instagram (free)

Have I sufficiently expressed my love for Instagram yet? It’s an adorable app with cool filters and a large community to share your photos with. Word on the street is Instagram is coming to the Android platform soon!

Hipstamatic Disposable (free)

This is a fun app that still has a few kinks to work out. The idea is that you create a “disposable camera” and invite your friends to it. Everyone shoots photos on their own iPhone and after the 24 frames have been shot, the app shares the photos with everyone. We used it on our trip to the mountains.

I have two small problems with the app, both of which can be worked around once you know about them. First, you have to use Facebook to find your friends, so the person creating the camera needs to be Facebook friends with everyone you want to invite. Second, once a camera is created, you can’t add more friends mid-roll. Apps like this are updated all the time though, so hopefully Hipstamatic will address these issues soon!

picfx (1.99)

A cute, basic photo editing app with tons of built-in filters and frames, as well as cool extras, like light effects (bokeh, sunflare) and dirt/scratches to make your photos look old. I like how you can easily layer multiple effects (you can only use one at a time on Instagram), and you can easily share to Instagram, since picfx doesn’t have a sharing community.

postagram (free)

Postagram turns your iPhone photos into real-life postcards to send to friends and family for 99 cents a pop. I sent a bunch out this past week and they shipped really fast! You can customize your message, and the photo is perforated so your recipient can punch it out and save it.

PolyFrame (.99)

Cute framing app to combine several images in a unique way. It is really customizable in that you can adjust the angles of the frames and add any image as the background. Like picfx, you can easily share PolyFrame photos to Instagram. This app is a little glitchy and freezes up or runs slowly sometimes, but hopefully they’ll fix that soon with an update.

Hipstamatic Incredibooth (.99, I got it free)

I shared some Incredibooth images last month – it makes really cute photo booth-style photo strips in any one of four different filters. I got it on Valentine’s Day for free but I think it’s worth the 99 cents. This app may be a one-trick pony, but it does what it’s supposed to well.

Productivity Apps

• Tweetbot (2.99)

I tried a few Twitter apps and Tweetbot is by far my favorite, mostly because it works so well with Read it Later (see below). The controls are easy and intuitive and I honestly can’t think of anything I wish it did that it doesn’t. I much prefer Tweetbot to the Twitter interface I use to read my feed on my computer.

Read it Later (free for lite, 2.99 for full)

Read it Later is amazing – you can think of it as a temporary bookmark list that stores itself online so you can access it anywhere. I use it mostly because I hate reading blogs and websites on my iPhone – it’s just too small! So when I’m browsing my Twitter feed in Tweetbot and I see a link I want to check out, I click it, then hit the “Read it Later” button, and it saves it to my list. Then later when I’m on my laptop, I can access my list and read all the links I saved. It’s also awesome if you don’t have great service and a page isn’t loading on your iPhone – you can send it to your list and read it later.

Awesome Note (free for lite, 3.99 for full)

I use the lite version of this app, it works just fine. You can create different tabs for different tasks and add to-do lists, notes pages, and tons of other functions.

Wallpaper Apps

• Cuptakes (.99)

Both of these apps are totally unnecessary but just fun to have. Cuptakes has adorable, girly iPhone wallpapers and they put out updates each month.

Paper’d (free)

More cool wallpapers, less girly-themed. They have different “collections” of wallpapers in different themes to choose from.

Weather App

Swackett (free)

Cool, graphic weather app that tells you the weather and suggests appropriate outfits to wear. Again, totally unnecessary, but more fun to look at than the built-in weather app.

Shopping App

Michaels (free)

You know how mad you get when you get all the way to Michaels and you realize you forgot your coupon? Never again with this app!

Games

Draw Something (free for lite, .99 for full)

If you don’t have this game yet, get on it. It’s like Pictionary that you play online with your friends! So fun.

Tiny Wings (.99)

When the lovely Melissa suggested this app, I sat down on the couch with it, then pages flew off the calendar and seasons changed outside my window. It is so easy to get addicted to this little bird!

What are your favorite apps? Have you tried any of these?

megalagom March 20, 2012 at 7:20 am

I also just got my iphone in January and looove it! I am a game app-er, I use it to play games more than anything else! My favorites are Bejeweled (Free) Orba (99) Carcassarone (Not free, can’t remember how much). Have a few others but those are my favorites! I use “pic frame” for my photos but will try the ones you suggested because I love this one so much I want to find more! My IMDB and wiki apps get a lot of use. The most impressive one I wanted to share is one I found yesterday which is great for anyone learning a new language! Babbel – its free, just search for the name with the language. It is incredibly useful and I’m actually learning Swedish from it! (unlike other apps I have tried)

Nicole March 20, 2012 at 7:28 am

so glad you posted this! I’m getting an iphone this weekend – YAY!!

Nicole March 20, 2012 at 7:28 am

And that exact thing about the Michael’s coupon happened to me last night!!! UGH!

Lauren March 20, 2012 at 7:36 am

I’ve had that happen more than once with Michael’s, downloading that app right now. Thanks!!

Frankie March 20, 2012 at 7:40 am

Good Job Kir! I feel like I’m cheating on my droid just thinking about the iphone…:)

Hemborgwife March 20, 2012 at 10:24 am

Ok I have had my ipad for over a year and always wondered where cool wallpapers came from and never thought to look for an app before this! I now have them so thank you so much!

hug March 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm

What a wonderful post!

went through all ur apps.
u will surely LOVE this app: PicFrame

Christine March 20, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Oh man I see several apps that I don’t have that sound very interesting on your post….hmm..

Nikki @ the ambitious procrastinator March 20, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I just downloaded the label box app. Haven’t used it yet, but it looks pretty cute! There’s an app called Apps Gone Free that I try to check daily for paid apps that are free. One of my faves is Snapseed and I’ve seen it on there twice in the last 2 months.

Nikki @ the ambitious procrastinator

Kira @ Her New Leaf March 24, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Awesome, Nikki, I’ll definitely check that out! Thanks for the tip!

lisa March 26, 2012 at 10:56 pm

The Read it Later app sounds awesome. I almost always read Twitter on my phone but, I’m with you, don’t like reading blogs on there. Instagram is the best :)

Cait Weingartner (@prettyandfun) March 28, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Just downloaded postagram – thanks for the recommendation!

Some of my faves are:
- Map My Run
- Spotify (totally worth the subscription)
- Amazon (has a price check function)
- GPS Plus
- Pinterest

jiayiheartsyou April 21, 2012 at 3:56 am

Reblogged this on Such heavenly love..

brookeeby06 April 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Love these ideas. Wordpress has an app but I prefer it for quick little posts.
Apps I LOVE:
-Pandora (always need good music)
-CamWow (hilarious filters)
-Gas Buddy (gotta find cheap gas)
-Voxer (kinda like a walkie talkie)
-Ringtone designer (uses music from your itunes library to create custom ringtones)

Thanks for the apps!

scottishnomad April 21, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I’m getting my first Iphone this weekend too! I’ll be checking these out!Thanks :)

roxem April 22, 2012 at 4:55 pm

My absolute fave note app is Evernote. You set up a free account with them & every note you enter is saved so that you can access it from any Evernote cell app or from your computer. I write my blogs in it so I have a saved copy, then I copy/paste it into WordPress when I’m ready to publish it. LOVE IT!!

aspiringimagesbyrachel April 23, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I never thought to do my draft blog posts in there – great idea!

Curls & Q April 22, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Star walk
Joanne’s
Pocket – was read it later
Dropbox
Angry birds

aspiringimagesbyrachel April 23, 2012 at 2:10 pm

My current faves are:
- Clear: It makes list making more tactile and fun to “complete”
- Photo Toaster: Fun times for photo editing
- Buzzfeed: Cannot get enough of the funny articles on here
- Cross Process: A randomly selected color filter for your photos. Adds some nice touches
- Buffer: Awesome way to schedule tweets/facebook posts & they have linked with Tweriod who show you the best times/days to post
- Hello Vino: If you’re a wine drinker, it’s so helpful & in laymen’s terms (not wine-speak)
- Good Guide: Very helpful to read rankings & info on items if you are looking to be more organic & natural in your household/personal/food purchases.

Hope these help!

myaquariumgeek April 23, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Just discovered fooducate, life360 for safety purposes, and mindsnacks to learn a new language along the way…

Shannon April 23, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Besides what you mentioned here, my favorite photo apps are:
~ Fast Camera (free) – allows you to take multiple photos in seconds
~ Camera Awesome by SmugMug (free) – several different components available. There are free filters and paid ones but the free ones are good.
~ Camera+ (free) – many cool things about this app
~ Color Effects (free) – combine black and white with color images or “paint” them

For music/radio, besides Pandora, TuneIn Radio is awesome. You can find radio stations all over the country by genre or location.

saveeverystep April 24, 2012 at 6:52 am

Some great new app tips, thanks!

Sarah June 16, 2012 at 4:22 am

Some great iPhone apps in both the article (thank you!) and also in the comments too.

Here are some of my recommendations;

Fishead Analytics (free) – Google Analytics on your iPhone!
Facebook Pages (free) – Great for keeping up to date with your facebook blog page
Skype (free) – AWESOME!
Snapguide (free) – Lots of how to videos that make me feel crafty

Thanks again for the iPhone apps!

Guarita79 August 4, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I have 2 princess and my favorite application to support the bilingualism its TinyLingua, very good application, friendly, good sounds, images and effects, love it!!! To encourage and support bilingualism, and the secret, keep entertained my little one’s :)

Alexis September 25, 2012 at 7:45 am

Love this post! Just found your blog via Pinterest. :) Love the idea of the Hipstamatic Disposable app but I can’t find it in the app store did they change the name or delete it??

Thanks!

Shenna July 11, 2013 at 11:55 am

I am a iphone picture addict. Currently, I use Repix, Vintique, VSCOcam, Over, ABeautifulMess, Phonto. Over & Phonto enable you to add text and “doodles” to pictures as well as a few filters and frames. The others are all all various filters for IG pics. I often use 2-3 beofre importing to IG. Most of these are free, atthe most I paid $.99 for them.

malik July 21, 2013 at 10:34 am

Are you interested in making your photographs masterpieces instantly with a few taps? Do you want to make your shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage black and white or new high resolution colorful images, by applying a plethora of special effects?. Do you want to use selective colors, variety of brush sizes (either manual or automatic), gestures like Pan/Zoom/Splash, unlimited undos, Colorize, Tintalize, Recolor, blend brush to create custom effects and text blending in the image? Don’t you want to support both landscape or portrait mode and options like loading/import photo from Cloud, instead of just from the camera or photo library? Being an experienced photographer, are you tired of image editors having several critical limitations? Won’t it be cool if you had a choice of 130+ built-in effects on different parts of the same image with numerous attempts and still having the option of creating your own custom effects ? Would you like to have option to make favorite list of built-in effects to choose them easily for future? You can also share your masterpiece with your friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, even export to iPhoto and photoshop or post it in form of card to anywhere in the world.
If you are looking for an app with all of above features, try out PhotoSplash Fx.
Being an experienced photographer are you looking for some impressive Iphone/Ipad app to make your photographs masterpieces instantly with a few taps? Try PhotoSplash Fx that has following unique features that you can’t find in any other app altogether.
• Make your shots awesome, no matter if they are old vintage black and white or new high resolution colorful images, by applying a plethora of special effects
• Use selective colors, variety of brush sizes (either manual or automatic), gestures like Pan/Zoom/Splash, unlimited undos, Colorize, Tintalize, Recolor, blend brush to create custom effects and text blending in the image
• It supports both landscape or portrait mode and options like loading/import photo from Cloud, instead of just from the camera or photo library
• Choice of 130+ built-in effects on different parts of the same image with numerous attempts and still having the option of creating your own custom effects
• Option to make favorite list of built-in effects to choose them easily for future
• Share your masterpiece with your friends through Email, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Picassa, even export to iPhoto and photoshop or post it in form of card to anywhere in the world.

best iphone apps free February 20, 2014 at 2:38 am

Which means request for apple iPad development has improved.
Today, it is said that the world is moving very
fast and things are getting older day by day as new technologies are replacing all the old concepts.
Apple always creates strategy for their products and the similar can be said of iPad.
best iphone apps free recently posted..best iphone apps freeMy Profile