Instagram Tips and Tricks

by Kira @ Her New Leaf on April 11, 2012

I am still obsessed with Instagram – are you? I think it’s a great way to capture small, every-day moments that you might otherwise forget. I love looking back over my photos and remembering when I took them! Here are a few tips for how to make your Instagrams shine.

Use your phone’s camera app to take your photo, then import into Instagram. The built-in camera app has way more capability than the Instagram camera, including zoom, focus, and exposure.

Bonus tip – ever had a photo turn out poorly because your subject was backlit and appeared too dark? On the iPhone, touch and hold your finger on your subject to lock the focus and exposure.

When you bring your photos in from the camera app, you will have the ability to zoom in on your subject – use it! Cut out anything unimportant in the background and showcase the details. Your photos will have so much more interest!

Lux, an enhancement feature represented by a sun icon, enhances the light in your photo. It works best on photos shot outdoors in natural light. It does not work well for indoor photos with artificial light, photos of food, or photos of people.

Tilt-shift, represented by the rain drop icon, places focus on one area of your photo and blurs the rest. You can choose either a circular focus (resize by pinching your fingers) or a rectangular focus (turn it by placing a finger on either end and spinning). Use tilt-shift to highlight one area of your photo or just add a little interest. You can also try blurring your entire photo by making the circular focus as small as you can and sliding it off to one corner.

Once you’ve applied either or both of the above features, you can apply one of the Instagram filters. To preview, tap the filter button at the bottom of your screen. Some filters have a frame attached, which you can toggle off with the frame button in the top left.

• Want to filter your photos without posting them? Switch your phone into “airplane mode” in your settings – any photos you edit will be saved to your phone.

• To quickly “like” a photo in your feed, tap twice on the photo.

• To easily reply to someone’s comment, tap and hold on their username, then click “mention user.”

• Combine the Instagram features with other apps! Check out a few of my favorite iPhone apps.

Fun web tools for Instagram:

• Statigram: view statistics on your photos, share your photos on other platforms
  • Webstagram: view your photos and your feed
  • Instagrid: view your photos in a neat gallery format

Have any tips to add to my list? I would love to hear them!

Michele July 13, 2013 at 6:23 pm

This was a great post to read! I’m so glad I stayed a while and browsed through your posts. I’ve actually been learning a lot from your posts. I’ve had Instagram on my phone for quite some time now, but hardly ever use it. It just seems so much easier to take a pic with my phone and instantly upload it to Facebook. I would actually like to use Instagram more, so I think I just might do that. =)

Richelle August 30, 2013 at 12:35 pm

As the admin of this web page is working, no doubt very quickly it will be well-known, due to its quality contents.
Richelle recently posted..RichelleMy Profile

Induction Cooktop Review September 22, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Outstanding post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject?
I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more.
Thank you!
Induction Cooktop Review recently posted..Induction Cooktop ReviewMy Profile

site October 16, 2013 at 4:18 am

It’s impressive that you are getting thoughts from this
piece of writing as well as from our discussion made at this time.
site recently posted..siteMy Profile

site de rencontre January 1, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Joining Paul in the top 10 are Burnell Taylor, Curtis Finch Jr.
successful but you may meet a new friend if you are.
Not all men are charming or personable, let alone extremely attractive, but they all desire the same
thing: to have the opportunity to date a beautiful woman.
site de rencontre recently posted..site de rencontreMy Profile

Maria February 3, 2014 at 2:56 am

Hey! Nice tips ;) thank you very much! Welcome in my fashion blog http://www.fashionfevery.blogspot.com
xoxo
Maria

Jhanis March 11, 2014 at 12:49 am

I’ve been using instagram for a while now but have not taken advantage of those functions! Thanks!
Jhanis recently posted..Postcard Exchange-Las Vegas, NevadaMy Profile

karla rivas April 9, 2014 at 8:40 pm

me gusta esta aplicacion

karla rivas April 9, 2014 at 8:43 pm

necesito como se toma fotos en pc para instagram

online trade mark registration April 19, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Wonderful site you have here but I was wanting to know
if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same
topics discussed in this article? I’d really love to
be a part of online community where I can get responses
from other experienced individuals that share the same interest.
If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Many thanks!
online trade mark registration recently posted..online trade mark registrationMy Profile

wood floor fitters East London April 22, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Thank you, I have recently been searching for information approximately
this subject for a long time and yours is the greatest
I’ve found out till now. However, what concerning the bottom line?
Are you positive about the source?
wood floor fitters East London recently posted..wood floor fitters East LondonMy Profile