Reader Appreciation Week: Primp My Blog Redesign Process

by Kira @ Her New Leaf on July 16, 2012

I love learning about the process of designers and other creatives, so now that I’m having a go in the web graphic design world, I figured I’d give you a peek into my own process! My first big project for the Primp My Blog graphics shop was for Jamie of C.R.A.F.T. Jamie contacted me several months ago to ask if I did design work for others – her message was the little push I needed to finally put my plans into action!

I first explained to Jamie that rather than designing and coding her entire blog, I would design custom graphics for her and guide her through the process of installing them into the theme of her choice. Custom graphics can totally change the look of a blog, and are often a more economical choice, when compared to the cost of hiring a web designer. This option especially appealed to Jamie – she is an all-around DIY girl, so she would be able to easily switch out the graphics herself in the future if she ever chose to do so.

While she enjoyed her previous design, she wanted something that was a little less trendy and pink, and more simple and timeless. C.R.A.F.T. is a rapidly expanding blog, and Jamie is always adding new features and functions to her site, so she wanted a theme and design that would be super flexible and dynamic. Jamie chose to use the Suffusion theme, which is free and a very popular and well-reviewed choice for WordPress.org users.

After Jamie listed her wants and needs for her new design, she also shared with me some design inspiration from her favorite blogs. I knew she liked bright colors but lots of white, a fun design, and a little bit of a handmade touch. Here are the first few suggestions I came up with:

Jamie was immediately drawn to the bold fonts and colors in numbers 1 and 2, as well as the confetti in number 4 and the triangle shapes of number 1. A few adjustments later, round 2 was up for approval!

I tried out a few different fonts, styles of confetti, and color palettes in this round. Jamie liked the font in numbers 1 and 3 and wanted to see fewer confetti bits to simplify things.

We’re almost there! Now we debated the size of the tag line font, the color palette, and the spacing and shape of the confetti. Jamie decided to go with the triangle-shaped confetti because it was a bit more unique, and we also chose the bold, primary color palette. After a few more tweaks, we had out final design for C.R.A.F.T.!

Jamie chose a few more graphics to complete her blog’s new look! You can head on over to C.R.A.F.T. to see what we came up with, and you can visit the Primp My Blog shop to see how I can help give your blog a makeover. Want to win a custom design package for your blog? Stay tuned later today for a giveaway and coupon code!

Don’t forget to participate in Reader Appreciation Week! Submit your ad buttons and questions for me to answer. Can’t wait to celebrate my blogiversary with you all!

alice July 16, 2012 at 7:55 am

kira – you need to fix your link to your primp my blog shop – it’s reading “htt://” and it’s unopenable – thanks :) i want to get in there and price things :)

Kira @ Her New Leaf July 16, 2012 at 8:05 am

Thank you, Alice! Sometimes I type too fast for my own good ; )

melissa @ 53blonde July 16, 2012 at 8:30 am

In the first flag – what’s the scripty font? I love that you finally opened up shop, by the way – I know who I’ll be coming to when I need a new design!!
melissa @ 53blonde recently posted..- want to get to know me better?My Profile

Kira @ Her New Leaf July 16, 2012 at 9:25 pm

It’s a new favorite of mine! It’s called KG Eyes Wide Open – available on DaFont!

melissa @ 53blonde July 17, 2012 at 7:05 am

Thanks lady!! I appreciate it :)
melissa @ 53blonde recently posted..- me, myself, and iMy Profile

Lori July 16, 2012 at 8:36 am

Wow, that’s a lot of work. But I love how you guided her to zero in on what she wanted. That’s always the hardest part. And in the end, she got a great result!
Lori recently posted..Vintage Folk Art – Wooden Caddy – Candle Box – Rustic Decor by fishlegsMy Profile

marissa @ the boot July 16, 2012 at 10:00 am

kira, you’re awesome! i love how you showed her each step in your process, not everyone does that! i can’t wait for the rest of reader appreciation week!
marissa @ the boot recently posted..let’s time travelMy Profile

Kira @ Her New Leaf July 16, 2012 at 10:46 am

Glad you liked it, Marissa – I’m always interested to see the “behind the scenes” and see if I agree with the choices. Which was your favorite? ; )

lisa July 16, 2012 at 11:54 am

I love the final product and it was really great to see the design evolve! As a graphic design student, I love seeing posts like this and getting to know the process. Thanks for sharing!
lisa recently posted..recipe box: roasted beet saladMy Profile

Kira @ Her New Leaf July 16, 2012 at 9:27 pm

As a self-taught designer, I wonder if my process is anything like a “professional’s”!

Paper Acrobat July 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm

The new look really improves the site.
Its amazing what a fresh lick of paint can achieve.
Paper Acrobat recently posted..MoonMy Profile

Shannon Kaye July 16, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Kira – this is wonderful!!! The new looks is perfect and oh so fresh looking – love it.

Jummy July 17, 2012 at 7:31 am

This was great! It’s interesting to see the iterations that one has to go through before landing on the right look and feel. Kira–do you go through the same with designs for your personal site or do you have a good idea of what you want in your head before you start working?

Christa July 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm

This is really cool to watch your process. Thank you for sharing!
Christa recently posted..Favorite Five: Summer EditionMy Profile

Jamie July 19, 2012 at 8:44 am

I LOVE my blog design. I get really, super,extra, excited when I see that someone pinned my “about me” button that Kira made! Thank you again for taking a chance and working with me! PS I love your new look too :)