DIY Braided Hippie Headband

by Kira @ Her New Leaf on August 17, 2012

Handmade Headband

In keeping with this week’s Summer Hair theme, I wanted to share a quick and easy tutorial for cute headband to accessorize your own summer hair.

Craft supplies

You will need:

• Cotton fabric (thrift store sheets or pillowcases work great)
  • Scissors
  • Needle and thread
  • Elastic hair tie

Scissors cutting fabric Tearing fabric
Torn fabric

Start by cutting a strip of fabric about 3-4 inches wide and 18-20 inches long. To get those cool, frayed edges, snip the edge of your fabric and tear it apart with your hands. Woven cotton fabrics will tear straight along the grain. Separate your strip into three strands and stop tearing about 3 inches from the top so that the strips remain connected. Remove any threads that were created by tearing the fabric.

Braiding

Braid the length of the fabric – I prefer a slightly looser braid so that you can still see the pattern on the fabric.

Hands sewing

When you reach the end, sew a few stitches to secure your fabric strips together. No expert seamstress skills needed, just tack together the fabric strips so they don’t unravel.

Girl sewing

Next, we’re going to attach the hair elastic to give the headband stretchiness. Make sure to use a springy, new hair tie, not an old one that’s been lying around and has lost all of its oomph. Loop one end of your braid through the elastic and sew a line of stitches to create a tube for the elastic to slide through. Try not to pierce the elastic with the needle, just sew around it.

Handmade hair accessory

Repeat on the other side to close your circle. Trim the ends of your fabric, but don’t trim too short because the repeated stretching of the headband could pull the stitches out through the unfinished ends.

Girl in headband

These hippie headbands make cute and quick gifts and can be made a million different ways! Swap out the fabric for braided leather or ribbons, or use a piece of vintage lace. Have fun accessorizing your beautiful summer hair!

Lori August 17, 2012 at 6:18 am

Love this! Cute, quick, and easily customized for any taste! Thanks, Kira!
Lori recently posted..100 – Square Head Cut Nails – Rusty and Rustic by fishlegsMy Profile

Stephanie@meetmakelaugh August 17, 2012 at 9:33 am

Really cute, and looks like a quick project! Love it!
Stephanie@meetmakelaugh recently posted..The Wedding Series: Stephanie and PatMy Profile

Magan August 17, 2012 at 9:36 am

SO CUTE. Will definitely be making some of these. I’m trying to grow my bangs out and it’s a gruesome process. Maybe cute headbands will help!
Magan recently posted..Estelle: Saving Ruth by Zoe FishmanMy Profile

Stephanie @ The Vintage Modern Wife August 17, 2012 at 9:42 am

love this! this looks super cute and easy.

jessica lynn August 17, 2012 at 11:21 am

SUPER cute! And that looks like something even I could make!
jessica lynn recently posted..Five for FridayMy Profile

safira @ Miss Stylicious August 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm

This is simpler than I initially thought it would be. I would love to try this with different fabrics. A great summer look.
safira @ Miss Stylicious recently posted..Urban Decay Smoked palette (picture heavy)My Profile

Amanda August 17, 2012 at 7:41 pm

So cute! I love simple headbands like this!

lexi August 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm

This is such an adorable tutorial + it’s a DIY I can actually do! Love it!
♡ Lexi @ Glitter, Inc.

Linnea August 19, 2012 at 9:20 pm

This is so cute! I love the hair tie idea for the back of the head, too – so clever! I just discovered your blog and am having the best time getting myself educated and inspired with your content. Such good stuff Kira!

Kirsten August 21, 2012 at 9:20 am

Such a cute and easy idea! I will definitely have to try these for my daughter’s hair.

Just wanted to let you know that I nominted you for The Versatile Blogger award – stop by my blog and get the scoop!

Kirsten recently posted..Versatile Blogger AwardMy Profile

Margeaux August 25, 2012 at 9:17 am

I love this. I made something similar at the beginning of the summer, only I used leather. I wear it all the time. I’m going to have to try this, though!

Jessica Mitchell-Stoddard September 2, 2012 at 8:38 am

I would LOVE to try this project out with the girls I nanny (with adult supervision, of course!). Thank you so much for this awesome idea!

Stephanie September 4, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Hope you are traveling well Kira! I love this post and generally your entire blog!! I’ve nominated you for a 7 things about me award :) can’t wait to hear what you share! check it out here! http://pinbusting.blogspot.com/2012/09/7-things-about-me.html
Stephanie recently posted..Pin # 15 In-shower cleaningMy Profile

amruta September 10, 2012 at 1:57 am

This braided headband is beautiful. I like the idea of making this from vintage bed sheets. This is perfect for summer road trips. I found this is a simple yet fun headband tutorial.

personalized custom pencils and stickers November 11, 2013 at 8:53 am

Shoppers review show appreciation for the frequent sales, discounts annd quick delivery times.
If two months is too early for them – keep checking back.

Small and medium enterprises think off this promotional item
as the right product that helps for brand building and reching the targeting audience.
personalized custom pencils and stickers recently posted..personalized custom pencils and stickersMy Profile